Solar Road Systems use heated roads to prevent ice forming
ICAX Solar Road systems use under road heating to.....
- collect solar heat from road surfaces in summer, store heat in thermalbanks for anti-icing in winter
- provide ice and snow-free roads automatically
- reduce reliance on expensive grit and salt machinery
- deliver safer roads, reducing suffering and damage from accidents
- improve the environment by reducing salt pollution to the water table
- reduce winter journey times to help commerce and private motorists
- speed clearance of the transport network, since all routes can be cleared simultaneously
- increase life of the road surface, reducing closure time for repair of pot holes and surface damage
- apply to new roads or retrofits
BBC Radio on Interseasonal Heat Transfer
On Monday 18 January 2010 BBC Radio Devon ran an article on Under Road Heating and Interseasonal Heat Transfer following the closure of the A38 at Haldon Hill near Exeter on 12 January from heavy snow falls for the second time within a year. Listen to BBC Radio Devon interview with Edward Thompson of ICAX Ltd.
Haldon Hill on the A38 near Exeter - Snowbound
Tuesday 12 January 2010
Black tarmac roads absorb solar heat and reach high temperatures
A black tarmac road in full sunshine will often reach 15°C higher than the ambient air temperature. ICAX captures this free energy in summer (reducing the peak temperature at the surface) and returns the heat in winter (to increase the winter temperature above freezing point) using a variant of under floor heating to provide under tarmac heating.
Seasonal Heat Transfer - Heated Roads - Under Road Heating
ICAX uses Seasonal Heat Transfer to capture summer heat from asphalt road surfaces with Asphalt Solar Collectorsand store the heat in ThermalBanks in the ground until it is needed in winter to maintain Solar Road Systems above freezing point.
Successful trial of Under Road Heating at Toddington Services
See the extended report by Transport Research Laboratories on the successful two year Toddington demonstration of Interseasonal Heat Transfer: TRL report on IHT for roads. Under Road Heating at Toddington is also featured in a BBC London News clip. To see video click on:
Successful trial of Under Road Heating at Hiroshima
ICAX Solar Road Systems clear snow using under road heating